Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In the Moment

There was a point about a month after we got home from Ethiopia when I thought, "Hey, he's not growing and changing nearly as quickly as I thought he would." And just this past week I said, "I can't believe how quickly he's grown and changed!" It goes back to this post. Time really is a funny thing... that's one thing that hasn't changed since Bekila has been home; What has changed is my ability to be in the present moment. I struggled so much during "the wait" with wishing time away; I don't any more, for the most part. I cherish every moment with the Little Man and am much better at not thinking too much about the past or the future.

The only time I find myself struggling with being present in the moment is when I'm away. As I mentioned, I recently returned to work. At the same time, I also started a new job with a new company. This required me being away for 3 nights last week and 4 next week and more in the future. So far I'm really loving my new job, however I discovered being away, especially for this amount of time, makes being present in the moment VERY difficult with Little Man being at home. I'm sure this won't totally go away over time, but I'm hoping I get better at coping with our time away. We'll see what happens. Either way, I can tell my patience with travel delays, etc will be greatly tested and I will cherish our time together even more... If that's possible.

A time that I have cherished since the first night Bekila was in our arms is bath time. He's loved it from the second bath we gave him which I'm sure is part of the reason I love it so much. But, it also has to do with how excited he gets when we walk in to the bathroom, how he tries with all of his might, standing on his tippy-toes to crawl in the tub by himself, the way his eye lashes clump together when they're wet, the grin he gets on his face when I splash in the water or hand him a new toy, they way he smells and how relaxed he is when he's all done an in his jammies; I could go on, but the bottom line is, it's one of my favorite times with my son. It's a time when I think about nothing else besides how lucky we are to have this little boy in our lives...


5 comments:

  1. Always love reading about what you guys are thinking...I miss you guys and him. Coen misses you all too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at his hair! omg he is my future son-in-law. i love him sooooooo much. we need to talk soon. bath time is our favorite too. do you think someday we can all go back to the new flower together? it would be such bliss.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. every post you post makes me tear up a little... I'm so happy you are all so happy together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how kids are always so in the present moment. Living with them makes it so much easier for us to be present, too, I find. Loved seeing you last week...would love to connect soon now that we are back from Chicago. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I CANNOT wait to meet him. How sweet this post is. I love you and can't wait to catch up. Big hugs. Love, Jay

    ReplyDelete